myHealth asks.. What to do if I think I've been sexually assaulted?

  • By proadAccountId-374620
  • 22 Feb, 2017

February is Teen Dating Violence Awareness Month

    • Have HOPE .... Help is available.... Know that what happened is NOT your fault. Seek help – call a rape crisis center - this is not something you need to do alone.

    • Make sure you are in a safe place and contact a trusted friend or family member.

      • If you feel like your life is in danger, call 911.

      • The Sexual Violence Center (SVC) is a 24-hour rape crisis center for Hennepin and Carver County.  SVC (612)-871-5111. They can advise you on the nearest location for medical help.

      • You may also call the 24-hour National Sexual Assault Hotline, operated by RAINN, at 1-800-656-HOPE. By calling this number you will be automatically connected to your closest rape crisis center.

      • is a comprehensive site for Minnesota resources.

    • Get medical attention as soon as possible...  The sexual assault exam (SAE):

      • SAE is best if completed during the first hours or days after an assault.

      • SAE will have no cost to you.

      • SAE will evaluate injuries, provide medication for risks of infection, and emergency contraception.

      • SAE will offer evidence collection.

      • SAE helps coordinate information for your recovery.

      • SAE exam is available at local emergency centers by expertly trained nurse examiners. (Sexual Assault Nurse Examiners (SANE))  

    • Preserve evidence

      • Don’t shower, bathe, wash your hands or use the toilet or clean up in any way. The examiner will guide you through the steps to evidence collection.

      • Don’t change or destroy your clothing, they may be evidence.

      • If the assault happened in your home, don’t clean up.

    • Follow-up care for several weeks afterward will be recommended.  Clinics like myHealth for Teens and Young Adults 952.474.3251 will be a positive resource for any seeking care following a sexual assault.

    • What about making a report?

      • No one is forced to report, but medical help is still important for you and evidence collection is best if done soon, whether or not you report.

      • If you want to report, call 911 - or-

      • The Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner (SANE) will assist you during your exam if you choose. -or-

      • Call 612-871-5111 – the advocate from the rape crisis center can offer support.

    • What if I don’t know what happened?

      • “Date rape” or drug facilitated sexual assault is happening.  

        • The most common date rape drug is alcohol.

      • The exam can offer help to prevent sexually transmitted infections and pregnancy.

      • Investigations may help uncover evidence of what happened.

      • Support during any investigation can help you understand and recover.

    • You have rights:

      • The rape crisis centers (SVC) can advise you on your rights.

      • There will be a victim advocate who can guide you through this process if needed.

Put the number for your rape crisis center – (SVC) 612-871-5111 – and MyHealth 952-474-3251 in your phone.  Learn what you can do to prevent situations where you or your friends would be at risk for Sexual assault.  If you think you or a friend have been sexually assaulted, seek care, preserve evidence, and call for support.  Contact for more information.
Share by: